Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Awesome Humbling Future

In Philippians 1: 23-24, Paul says, "I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far; but it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body." I use to read that and think, how could he truly wish for such a thing. I felt like there was so much of life I still wanted to experience and so many things I could do with God's help for the kingdom here on earth. Why would I long to die and leave it all behind? I began pray that I would understand this and that I would develop such a longing for Christ that this could honestly be my prayer too. I have since forgotten about that prayer.
Today I was reading in Numbers for our church's devotional plan and read the passage where Aaron is called up on the mountain and there he dies. My thought was, "Wow, how cool that must have been for him to finally meet the Lord face to face." Aaron served the Lord in His tabernacle, interceded for the people of Israel, and spoke the Lord's words to friend and foe. But God was always veiled in his interactions. How refreshing it must have been for Aaron to meet the Lord, worship Him in glory, and rest in His grace and love.
I was reminded of my old prayer and see know that God answered it. I too, long for the day when I can meet Him face to face. I long to leave the struggles and sadness of this world and bask in the Son! Now please don't think that I'm going to end my life or think morbid thoughts about death. It's not that at all! I'm happy and content to remain on earth and serve the Lord however He desires, but I look forward to my awesome and humbling future resting at His feet and singing His praises for eternity! Praise God!

No comments: