Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Sitting and Playing

I realized today that this is the 4th year in a row, that I've had a baby in the house to entertain, and specific to this post a 6-9month old. Three years ago it was Michael, then it was Casey, a little girl I babysat for a couple days a week, and last year it was Shane, a little boy I sat for. And now, or course, there is Jonathan. My recollection of this age with the other three was that this was an age of frustration, both for them and me. They were no longer content to just sit and stare at things, but not mobile enough to keep themselves entertained, so they would sit on the floor and constantly cry for more toys to be brought to them.

Jonathan, though, has so far been very content to just sit and play with thing on the floor. Don't get me wrong, he wants to be mobile and really tries, but he is also content to just be sometimes, especially when he is sitting and can see other people. Now, I don't know if this is just because Jon is so much more laid back than the others or if it is because I have gotten "better." For example, I have found that I can fill a bucket with toys and set it next to the child. Then there is a supply of toys for him to pull out and play with and when the toys run out there is always the never failing entertaining bucket! On the Jonathan side, he seems to love people more than things, so if he can sit where he can see me or Michael he is very happy. And his two fav things to play with are his paci and his socks which is easy entertainment. :) He works so hard to get his sock (his left one) off his foot. This can take a good 5-10 minutes. Then another 10 minutes of entertainment is chewing on it and seeing all the fun noises he can make while holding the sock in his mouth.

All in all, Jon has been the easiest 6-9 month baby for me. I'm so glad too, because I was dreading this age a bit. Hope it stays so fun!

No comments: