Tuesday, October 16, 2007

A Special Treat for All

Like I mentioned in an earlier post, my dear son has been admitted to the toddler club. And that includes the fight to get him to eat his supper. Now, my son likes the food - he'll even eat green vegetables, but at the dinner table he is so highly amused by the sounds his fork can make banging on things and the way his food squishes between his fingers that he seems to forget about the eating part. So, hubby decided to offer him a "special treat" if he finished his food tonight.

Let me for a moment step aside from this story to tell you about "Special Treat." About a week ago, my husband had Michael for the night while I was at Bible study and decided to take him out for a "special treat." This was to split a piece of cheesecake at Barnes and Noble and let Michael play with the train set there. Michael thought this was the best! And everyday - well closer to every couple of hours, he has asked for a special treat - every time we got in the car, when he woke up each morning, at every meal, when Daddy came home from work - you get the picture. Of course, the logic that a special treat is no longer special if comes every day just falls flat with a toddler - trust me I tried.

So anyway, hubby and son go off tonight to have their "special treat" leaving me for my own "special treat" time at home. So what did I do you ask? Maybe I could draw a nice bubble bath and soak away the cares of the day. Maybe I could call up a couple girl friends and go out for coffee to chat about the latest happenings. Maybe I could light some candles and curl up with a good book to get lost in its pages! Well, actually I watched an episode of Frasier - lame isn't it?!

Why did I select that particular activity? Because all the further I got was the couch. Mind you it was 6:30pm. My day started at 6:30 am with a shower and devotions. Then by 7:30 I had not only my son to watch but two others that I do daycare for. So the next few hours were full of running a three year old to the bathroom, saying "It's so and so's turn now," making pancakes, singing Old MacDonald, pushing around tricycles, and trying to come up with creative ways to use old toys to keep them entertained. Now, don't let me fool you, I did let them watch Sesame Street so there was a bit on selfish me time in there too! :) And then came "lunch break" - making sandwiches, cutting up bananas, feeding the baby a bottle, cleaning up with the washcloth over and over, and oh yah - eating a piece of toast and banana myself. Don't get me wrong, I love my job at home with my son - I am embellishing it a bit for this story here. I wouldn't change being a stay at home mom for a day at the office for anything (ok, maybe a day now and again, but not usually lol). Anyway, after fixing dinner and doing airplane to feed a two year old, I was pooped! So I got to the couch and made it no further.

Luckily the half hour "special treat" trip turned out to last longer so after the TV show I was able to dust the second floor, and vacuum the whole house! How much of an accomplishment was that?! My question though, is how come a "special treat" for a child is dessert out and 45 minutes with a favorite toy, and a "special treat" for a mom is to be able to vacuum the stairs without a toddler hanging on her leg? LOL

Wow - if you made it through that whole thing congratulations! Let me leave by telling you that I absolutely love being a Mom - and in a strange way this evening was a "special treat" for me. So leave me a comment and let me know what is a "special treat" for you? I can't wait to read what you have to say! :) :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that sounds like a great treat. I like little moments to just be still.

Tracy said...

I get a special treat every Thursday night when my inlaws get my son from 4:00 to 9:00. It's so nice to be able to go shopping, take a walk or just veg out in front of the TV or computer. It's doubly nice sometimes when hubby works late those nights and it is truely just "me" time.

Cheryl said...

I totally understand that kind of treat! I am a grandmother, but last year I lived with my daughter and her four children while her husband was in Afghanistan. Two were in diapers, one was in kindergarten and one was pre-teen. Never a dull moment! I loved being with them so much, but what a treat it was when they would all load up and go someplace without me every now and again! and what did I do with that time? usually I just enjoyed some uninterrupted scrap time! My son-in-law has been home since the end of January and I have moved into my own place. It's so quiet here, and now I miss all the activity...well most of it! LOL! Sorry this got so long!
God bless you and your family!

Anonymous said...

Vacuuming without a toddler?? I didn't know it could be done. I assumed that as soon as they could walk it was mandatory that they be intimately involved with all cleaning, straightening, and decorating projects from then on. My favorite is mopping!! I love trying to keep him from playing in and/or dumping out the bucket and off of the wet floor (we wouldn't want the angel to fall) while I try and hold him at bay with my stubby little leg. Someone remind me... What did I do before I had him again???

I'm completely with you though. Sometimes it is nice to just veg and collect your thoughts for a moment. Then you can DIGISCRAP!! YEAH!!! :-)

Anonymous said...

My wonderful treat involves being able to go to the grocery store, by myself. It is not so much the shopping that gets me, 'cause I despise the grocery store, but it is the time alone in the car, without dogs barking, or someone calling my name over and over again. My dd is just two, and the action never stops. I am struggling with her trying to get up her one nap, so quiet time alone anywhere is sweet to me.

p.s. we are Red Sox fans too, in fact, hubby was surprised by work with a ticket to the playoff game tonight! He was thrilled

Kelly said...

Welcome to the world of blogging! It's fun!
I think sitting on the couch uninterrupted for a half hour and getting some things done around the house is a great treat!