Saturday, January 23, 2010

We have a pet

When I got to school to pick up Michael on Friday, I was greeted by Michael standing in the hall. He ran up to me and asked, "Mom, can I have a goldfish?!" It turns out that they had been doing goldfish races at school the last two days. This involves preschoolers scooping into a tank of fish and picking out a goldfish. They then place it in a tube and cheer it on to beat the others in swimming to the end of the tube. Now that they were done, his teacher offered to let the students take home the fish.

So being such a great mother I agreed and we went and picked out a nice big goldfish. Michael named him Spot as he has a black spot on his side. Tim then had to go out Friday night and get a fishbowl and some fish food. I'm happy to say that today, over 24 hours later he is still alive. I really wasn't expecting it - the poor thing participated in goldfish racing and then was carried home in a bag by a very energetic 4 year old. I figured the preschool trauma would be too much for the guy, but for now he is holding on.

No comments: