Monday, August 22, 2011

The first day of the rest of our lives

I thought I'd interrupt my summer review as today is Tim's first day back to work. This marks two things for me:
1. We have now lived in our new home for a full year. We moved in the weekend before Tim started work last year. I'm a bit embarrassed to say that we still have a few boxes in the basement that are not unpacked. I should probably go through them next summer and do a garage sale or something because we obviously don't NEED the things in those boxes as we have gone all year without them. :)
Here is a memory from moving last year:

Layout credits: MSA Celebrating Life: At Home, pieces by FruitloopSally, Kelly Mickus Designs, Kaye Winiecki, Oscraps, and Cinzia Loosemore

2. Today marks the day of trying to start back into our school schedule. I have spent most of the summer at Calvin taking classes and Tim has been stay at home Dad. I really enjoyed the ability to talk with other adults for hours at a time and to be able to deepen my thinking about teaching and students with disabilities. It has refreshed me an stretched me. However, it has also confirmed for me that my job right now is to be home raising my kids. I'm thrilled to be back into this routine right now. It does mean that I have to do things that I don't like like laundry and dishes and cleaning bathrooms, but it also means that each day I get to tell my kiddos how much I love them, I get to teach them about God and his world, and I get to watch them grow and learn and change which is a huge blessing.

Colossians 3:23-24 says, "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving." This is the verses I want to live each day for. And what a great lesson to instill in my children. I really don't like putting the books back on the shelf again because Becca keeps knocking them down, but I'm going to do it joyfully as if I am preparing the room for Jesus. Steven Curtis Chapman has a song about it:


So to help me out I've made a fun dry erase board for chores and dinners for each week.

Credits: Shabby Kitchen by Jessica Edwards, papers from Blessed With Blue by Bella Gypsy, Elements from Spring Clean and Baker's Dozen by Kate Hadfield and Jacque Larsen, font is Amanda G by Darcy Baldwin
(If you want to see more about it, check my Digital Scrapbooking Classes blog post.)

And on that note, here are some pictures of the fun today with my kids:
All three playing race cars together. The boys were so cute because they would race around fast and have their cars jump over Becca each time they lapped her.


Then when I said it was time for lunch, Becca ran right over and climbed up onto her high chair by herself - my little monkey.


Finally, you can't see it that well, but Becca is eating a carrot stick. My little girl will not eat vegetables. We have tried everything, including hiding them in things. She has the skill to take the bite, move the food around in her mouth, and spit out only the vegetables. Well, apparently, a raw carrot at lunch time is not a vegetable to her. She will slowly naw on them - I think she probably gets about 1/5 of a baby carrot, but still!

No comments: