Sunday, January 2, 2011

Narnia

When I was a young child my parents read the Narnia books to my brother and me. I remember cuddling on the couch with them or laying on the floor in front of them listening and loving them. Then we got an abridged version of them on tape and I would listen to that over and over on the floor with my tape player until the tapes started to crackle and became hard to understand. When my younger siblings were old enough I remember reading the books to them. And this past week and a half my family has listened to them in the car as we traveled.

For anyone who has to take a long car ride I strongly recommend books on CD. It really makes the time go by so quickly. With Michael old enough to follow along some we felt that the Narnia books would be just perfect. As of today we have made it through 6 of the 7 (we finished Magician's Nephew on the way back from my dad's house).

It got me thinking though about reading more books to my kids. We have tried getting books to read to Michael before bed, but by that time of night Tim and I are spent and ready to just be done with the day so we always skip the reading. Instead I think I will find time during the day to read aloud to him (and Jon and Becca although I doubt they'll sit still and listen much...). Narnia might need to wait for a bit, but he got some magic tree house books and Mr. Popper's Penguins for Christmas so we have plenty to start with.

No comments: